Historic and beautiful villas are not only located in the city center, but are also scattered in the countryside of Bologna. Come and discover them with us!
The Malvezzi Villas complex is located in Bagnarola, in the province of Bologna. It consists of two central units: the Casino d’Aurelio and the Floriano, the respective names of two belonging to the noble family.
The Casino d’Aurelio dates back to 1623 when the Marquis Aurelio bought and restored a property of the Cospi family. The central part has a 16th century turret and is surrounded by two side wings built in the following century. Inside, however, it is possible to observe the loggia, the counter-log and thirteen rooms, all enriched by frescoes from the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.
Later, around 1718, following the death of Aurelio, the sons commissioned the architect Gregorio Monari to build the second unit, the Floriano. The aim was to create a residence that could also host a fair: the architect designed a portico and numerous shops. The Malvezzi Villas thus became the center of agricultural trade.
After Floriano’s death, his brother Matteo decided to continue with the initial goal and commissioned the architect Alfonso Torreggiani to unify the northern facade with the southern one.
Due to a fire in 1929, the theater, the Chapel of Sant’Anna were destroyed.
Palazzo Bentivoglio Pepoli
Palazzo Bentivoglio Pepoli is located in St.Tevere 18 in Zola Predosa.
The palace was initially built thanks to the Bentivoglio family between the 15th and 16th centuries; it was subsequently purchased by the Marescotti family and between 1560 and 1566 by the Pepoli family, owner of the building until 1824.
From this date the residence passed to the Gambarini and Masini family; however, due to war damages, the architect Gennaro Filippini restored it between 1999 and 2001.
Externally Palazzo Bentivoglio Pepoli presents numerous neoclassical elements such as the two-dimensionality, the four Ionic pilasters above which there is a tympanum decorated with the coat of arms of the Pepoli family.
Inside, however, you can see numerous paintings, decorations and friezes. Today at Palazzo Bentivoglio Pepoli it is possible to celebrate weddings, parties, exhibitions, meetings, dinners or private lunches.
Palazzo Albergati is also located in Zola Pedrosa. In 1659 the Marquis Girolamo Albergati, ambassador of Bologna in Rome and dean of the Bolognese Senate, entrusted the construction of Palazzo Albergati to the architect Gian Giacomo Monti.
It stands on a three-storey rectangular plan; inside it is possible to admire the numerous frescoed vaulted ceilings characterized by mythological themes, one of the two staircases initially present in the building, various rooms including the ballroom, which is the central part of the building. The latter is over 30 m high, is surrounded by loggias and can be reached from any room in the building.
In the eighteenth century it was used as a theater for performances by Voltaire and Goldoni. The palace was in fact visited by many important guests including Goldoni, Alfieri, Giacomo III of England and Giacomo Casanova.
Palazzo Albergati is considered one of the greatest examples of Baroque architecture in Italy.
Today it is possible to use it for ceremonies, conferences and numerous other events.
Palazzo Rossi is located in Sasso Marconi in the street of the same name.
This position was most likely chosen for its strategic proximity to Bologna and the presence of the Reno river. Thanks to it, in fact, a way of communication with the city was ensured, with which exchanges of goods and agricultural products took place. Furthermore, the lands were particularly fertile as they had been reclaimed.
In 1482 Bartolomeo Rossi was commissioned to reorganize the Pontecchio estate: he created a large production complex thanks to the construction of an artificial canal to convey the waters of the Reno to exploit its motive power.
After Bartolomeo’s death, the children continued the arrangement.
In 1527, however, it was damaged by the Lanzichenecchi, subsequently restored and modified in 1700.
Observing Palazzo Rossi you can still see the initial structure except for the tower in one of the corners that Camillo Rossi had destroyed in 1773.
In Pianoro, among the vast plain, stands Villa Fungarino. It is said that its construction dates back to the times of the Etruscans, with the subsequent passage of the Romans. Cardinal Prospero Lambertini, later Pope Benedict XIV, was also a guest of this villa.
Today, Villa Fungarino is part of the Fungarino farm, owned by Clotilde Neri, mother of Luca Cordero di Montezemolo, former president of Ferrari.
The Emilia-Romagna region is in fact home to numerous car and motorcycle companies such as Ferrari, Ducati, Lamborghini and Maserati which together form the Land of Motors.Would you like to know more? Visit the Motor Valley website!
- Cuppini G., Matteucci A.M., Ville del Bolognese, Bologna, Zanichelli, 1969
- Gigli A., Verde Bologna: [parchi, ville, giardini], Bologna, L’Inchiostroblu, 1988
- Avanzato M. S., Guida ai palazzi di Bologna. Viaggio romantico tra gli edifici storici della città, Roma, Edizioni della Sera, 2020